Wednesday, June 4, 2008

One of the most crucial factors for weight loss

The always get the same reaction when I tell people what I do for work.

First they flex their bicep ( which must be the universal signal for personal trainer) then
they ask me a serious of questions about how to lose fat around (insert body part here)

The truth is that the life of a personal trainer has it's ups and downs.
The ups mostly occur when you see a client change their life for the better by losing weight,
finally being able to fit into a pair of pants or come out of their shell.

The bad on the other hand can come in a variety of packages.
for the topic of the blog I will keep the suckiness brief and talk about the crappy sleep
schedule most trainers are faced with.

Unless you are somehow blessed by the scheduling gods, most trainers have to train people before or after work which means most trainers either have to get to their clients home before the sun dawns or train them later in the evening. This schedule of early mornings and late nights can take its toll on the body.

When I started training clients in home, my earliest session was at 5:45 AM, within a few months I had put on as many as 20lbs and it could directly be tied to sleep deprivation.
A study presented at the American Thoracic Society International Conference showed that middle-aged women who sleep 5 or fewer hours each night weigh an average of 2.5 kg more than those who sleep for at least 7 hours, meaning sleep or lack of does play a huge role in body weight.

Now lets think about the typical sleep patterns for a university student. I remember when I was
in school I stayed up until all hours of the night, and unless once again blessed by the schedule gods, I would have to wake up relatively early for class. Did I mention I was my heaviest in college?

Thankfully I am back to a descent fighting weight, my key to keeping the weight down even with my crappy sleep patterns have been outlined in the DropYourFreshman15 manual

No comments: